Institute for Functional Medicine Vice Chair Mark Hyman, MD explains the difference between conventional medicine and functional medicine, using the example from his own practice of a young girl with severe autoimmune disease. While the conventional medicine approach suppresses the inflammation in this patient, functional medicine asks and addresses the question of why the inflammation exists in the first place and looks at the scientific drivers (causes) of the disease, which include toxins, infections, allergens, stress and poor diet. Copyright IFM 2010.
- RT @markhymanmd: Proper diet and lifestyle keeps the doctor away. Rule #1? Let food be your medicine. thenewpotato.com/2017/06/19/wha… @TheNewPotato… 1 month ago
- RT @DrKristieLeong: It can take your #microbiome a year or more to recover from a single dose of #antibiotics. buff.ly/2sCgOE1 #gut… 1 month ago
- Why there's such a thing as good bacteria and... Should you have that glass of wine? fb.me/PjMzMf6C 3 months ago
- Some great plant based recipes from Mark Hyman, MD. fb.me/7UxxwJC8P 4 months ago
- This is how I reversed my own lupus... treat the gut flora! People are slowly figuring this out. m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58… 7 months ago